Fun with Translation Software
So I’m sitting here ironing the wrinkles out of the NEW Matthew Ebel dot net and chatting with Aaron about what happened in Japan. I don’t intend to make light of the catastrophe that’s going on there, but one thing led to another and I started playing around with the Translation Widget that comes with Mac OS. Apparently, fun things happen when you shift from English to Japanese back to English again.
My favorites so far:
- General Ebel, Commander of the Robot Army
Commander of Ebel summary robot troop
- Proud Warrior Bird, Destroyer of 10,000 Fish
The destructive person of bird and 10,000 fish of the soldier which you brag
- Pretty Purple Warrior Bird
Considerably the bird of the soldier of purple
- Long Live Tentacle Porn
To be long the pornography has lived the tentacle
And then there is the strange journey a single phrase takes when you hit the re-translate button repeatedly:
- Original English Phrase: All your base are belong to us.
- The base belongs to us entirely, it is.
- The base belongs in us, completely that is.
- Completely, there is a base with our that, it belongs.
- Completely, the base our that of that belongs, it is.
- Completely, the base to which our that belongs, it is that.
- Completely, our bases it belongs, that is.
- Completely, as for our based that, that it is, it belongs.
- A certain thing and belonging completely is based, because our.
- Thing of a certain specification and completely as for post, because us it has been based.
- Because we that had been based, in regard to the post specified thing of a certain specification and completely.
- It had been based and in regard to the specification of the specification which is the post specified thing of perfection us, because.
- That to be based, in regard to the specification of a certain specification the post perfection thing us, because it specified.
After that it just started looking like a cross between a George W. Bush press conference and a David Lynch film. At some point it almost turns into a haiku or some kind of ancient Buddhist teaching that nobody will ever understand.
Either way, technology is fun.