6 Comments

1. Berin
    June 30, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

I thought the whole point in making a living from any Creative endeavor was to get the equivalent of n people giving you $x dollars where n multiplied by x gives you enough money to live on and keep being creative. Above and beyond that, try and remember to not get greedy. Sure, it sounds simple: “All I need is 1000 people to give me $50 a year and I can keep [doing whatever]” Problem is, most don’t look at it that way. They think earning from any Creativity is about fame and fortune. That is, make a splash and grab the cash.

Funny thing is, those that get the “top of the charts” position only stay that way for a few years, and once the accounting is done, didn’t do any better (and in many causes, quite a bit worse) than if they said, “I want n people to give me $x dollars a year for my work” and did what they needed to do to make it there.

2. Corbin Wells
    July 1, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

I get that a lot for my studio art major. Instead of telling people my major and minor, I just tell them I’m planning on animating and creating comics. This way, i can avoid the, “so you’re gonna be an art teacher” question.

3. Alex Scoble
    July 2, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

If you get annoyed when people actually give you a chance to tell your story to them, then you probably have bigger problems than the people who are asking the question.

• Matthew Ebel
      July 2, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

If they wanted the story, they could simply ask “what do you plan to do for a living?”  The Stupid Question is tantamount to asking girls in a business course “and whose secretary do you want to be?”  The language of the question itself is discouraging, like the battery of Even Stupider Questions we get in political push-polling.  In this case, the questioner is filling in the end of the story with a much less happy ending than most artists deserve.

4. Ambassador of Style
    July 15, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

As an illustrator and graphic designer, I wish I had a dime for every time I’ve been asked that question!  I feel you completely!  🙂

5. Dontgiveemailout
    July 27, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

The fact of the matter is people with theatre/music/performance degrees often end up teaching, at least part time, at some point in their career, whether it be classroom or private lessons. It’s not an insulting question. It’s about as insulting as asking a psychology major is they want to do therapy-not all do, but a good portion will end up doing so.