11 Comments

1. Chris Hvidsten
    November 13, 2014 @ 12:50 pm

I hear that voice every time I sit down to write, or stand in front of my microphone to record what I’ve written. My raw recordings have no less than 5 minutes of utter silence at the beginning as I try to nut up and start talking. Even after I’m done, it takes almost a day after for me to sit down and do any kind of editing. Once I start it flows fairly well, but it’s that start that’s the hardest part.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to beat that voice down with facts and figures. It gives me hope as I continue to write that someday I’ll be able to conquer my own sense of doubt with the same kind of positivity.

• Matthew Ebel
      November 13, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

Honestly, it’s not the quantity of the metrics that beat the voice back, it’s the positive trend. If the quantity of validation mattered to me, I’d look at artists with huge fan bases and just quit right now. What matters to me is that I’m not alone. 🙂

2. John Wall
    November 13, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

You’re listening to the voice, that’s proof enough that the voice is not you.

• Matthew Ebel
      November 13, 2014 @ 2:35 pm

I don’t know… I’m universally renowned for saying stupid shit that doesn’t help. That voice may very well be me… just a part of me that needs killin’.

Fortunately, there are other voices (like yours) that can drown that voice out.

3. Felicia
    November 14, 2014 @ 4:16 am

As a podcaster, I listen to a lot of music and spend a lot of time thinking about how it is presented. By far, you do the best job of anyone I’ve ever seen presenting your music (which is awesome, btw). Managing to do what you love, even if you are still just scraping by, is still doing what you love. It is a triumph – one that lots of artists never manage to achieve. There may be times when you feel alone, but we – your audience – are here. You matter to us.

• Matthew Ebel
      November 14, 2014 @ 10:20 am

And you matter to me, a lot. Thank you. 🙂

4. Mike Brandenstein
    November 22, 2014 @ 7:37 am

That voice is such a common enemy within all of us. It’s really helpful to hear fellow musicians going through similar struggles and yet, refusing to give up! Thanks Matthew!

5. Virginia
    December 2, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Interesting – your voice says the same things mine does! And I am not a musician – I am an educator and corporate trainer. An entrepreneur – and it doesn’t matter the industry – I experience the highs/lows and financial ups/downs that you do. And I am an expert in my field for 25 years.

You have wonderful talent. And the voice never shuts up. it is always there. Some days, you have to choose to take on what OTHERS are ACTUALLY saying – and I am one of many many who continue to give you that support.

You are doing something truly groundbreaking – you are a true pioneer. Yup – exactly like your steampunk starship captain. You are part of a movement to create music and make a decent living at it. For a very very long time, music has been (and in mainstream, continues to be) all or nothing. You are either a superstar or a talented musician who is an engineer or accountant or manager or ___________ during the day. There has been little in between.

Creating a new way of living – a transformation of the art you have selected as your field is uneasy. There is little or no evidence to support your beliefs. And the very same is true of many many great people.

You cannot avoid the mistakes. It is an uncharted path. The mistakes are how you learn.

On those days when the voice is really loud – ask one of us. Ask me.

• Matthew Ebel
      December 2, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

Heh, thanks for this. Believe me, the voice is louder on some days than others, but I’m always able to drown it out with voices like yours. 🙂