Yes, you really should read this before contacting me. I do all this music stuff without a major record label helping me. This means my email time’s very limited, so please help me stay sane and see if you can find an answer to your question here!
- Can I use your music in my video/project/radio show/etc.?
- I actually have a Terms of Service page to cover this kind of thing. Read it and be knowledgable!
- Do you play weddings, private parties, bar mitzvahs, etc.?
- I most certainly do. Aside from my original music, I can play a few hours’ worth of cover tunes with just a piano and a mic. If you’d like to book me for a private event, you’ll need to contact my Booking Assistant
- But I’m a friend or family member, do I really need to go through your agent?
- YES. If you want me to be able to write songs and record music, then I need to let someone else handle the logistical stuff and just tell me where and when to show up. Drop them a line!
- Will you play at my club in Second Life?
- Nope. My setup is now software-only and it takes all my laptop’s brain power just to run the live sound setup. If I tried to run SL and Mainstage at the same time, my MacBook would catch on fire. Sorry!
- Can I interview you for my show/magazine?
- Absolutely! I love talking with people about… pretty much anything. If you’re interested in what I have to say, just get in touch with me. I don’t, however, do email interviews. They suck, seriously- interviews always turn out better with a little spontaneity. Talk to me in person via phone, Skype, or iChat, and I’ll be happy to send you a recording so you can transcribe if necessary.
Important: don’t contact me unless you’ve already got an interview date/time in mind. If it doesn’t work for me, I’ll hit you with an alternative and we can figure it out. When you’ve got a time figured out, contact me.
- Can I play one of your songs on my podcast/radio show?
- If you’re looking for podcast music- even if you want to use one of my songs as the intro to your show -you can find all of my podsafe tunes at matthewebel.com/podsafe. The licensing terms of that site are straightforward, and it doesn’t cost a cent. If you’re a radio station or other entity paying your BMI fees, you can play any of my album tunes that you want, just make sure you include it on your BMI report. Yes, this helps me pay my grocery bill!
- Will you write a theme song for my show/project?
- I love working with people to make custom music. Most people don’t realize just how much time is involved in a project like that, though, so when I quote them a price they’re a little surprised. A good theme song can take anywhere from a week to a month to produce depending on complexity, and even when I was a receptionist making $10 an hour, that kind of time added up. I don’t have a “rate sheet”, but I rarely take this kind of work for less than $500.
- Wow, I don’t have that kind of cash right now. What can I do?
- One idea is to grab a Chipin Widget and get your fans to contribute towards the Awesome Music Fund. Other than that, try grabbing one of my podsafe tunes for podcast intros.
- I signed up for your mailing list and didn’t get my 5 free songs.
- Yes you did, check your spam box. If the password isn’t in there, then you either entered the wrong email address or never confirmed your email address. Try signing up again. Thousands of fans have done this so far, so you’re in good company.
If you still think there’s something wrong, it may be an issue with my email list provider. If I can sign up for my mailing list with a test email, though, the problem has to be on your end. Sorry!
- My question doesn’t seem to have been asked that frequently.
- Well, the FAQ’s kind of new, so it may just be that I haven’t added it yet. Go ahead and email me and ask away, just bear in mind that I only get to my email about once a day, if that. Thanks!