The Lives of Dexter Peterson is a three-part project from musician/writer Matthew Ebel and comic artist Genesis Whitmore. Based on a novella written by Ebel, the album, story, and comic are about a boy from New York City who finds himself inexplicably jumping from one life to the next, as though someone were changing the channels of his life and he’s the star of every single show. He can’t explain why nor can he see a pattern, all he knows is that a girl named Alexandria seems to follow him from one life to the next.
My name is Dexter Jared Peterson. I am 26 years old and I live in New York City. In the last seven years I have lived as 11,577 different people.
This is how Dexter begins every entry he writes in his journal. Whether he wakes up as a World War II soldier in the French countryside or a dolphin off the Hawaiian coast or a cinema-worshiping priest of a post-apocalyptic religious order, all Dexter can do is try to stay alive as his environment changes. Throughout it all he keeps track of his lives in a journal that, somehow, travels with him.
Add to the Journal, Win A Free Album and Novella
Entries can be written, phoned in, drawn, photographed, or even on video. Do you know where, when, or whom Dexter might be next? Think about it… what would you do if you were suddenly somewhere else, someone else, somewhen else. You could be a different race or even a different species. What do you see? What’s happening around you? What skills do you suddenly have or languages do you suddenly speak fluently?
WRITERS & STORYTELLERS: Submit your own journal entries to be considered for a free copy of The Lives of Dexter Peterson, both the album and the story! Entries can be sent via email or phoned in at (503) 583-4254
ARTISTS: Do you see an entry that begs to be illustrated? Can you show an entire journal entry on your own with just the visuals? Submit your works as well!
PHOTOGRAPHERS & VIDEO PRODUCERS: Nothing says you can’t tell a story with a video or photo. If you’ve got an idea that needs to be told through real imagery, that counts too!
- All suitable entries will be posted here. Winners will be selected by Matthew Ebel and Genesis Whitmore and posted to Matthew’s front page.
- Writing winners will have their entries illustrated by Genesis Whitmore (if not already illustrated) and sent to them as a digital print. Once the album is released, all winners will also receive a free download of the album and novella.
- Enter as many entries as you’d like, there’s no per-person limit.
- All entries will be considered, but heavy violence or adult material aren’t likely to be posted anywhere.
- Submit your entries at http://matthewebel.com/who-is-dexter-peterson/submit/